HOW TO USE THE MATERIAL
MONITOR RESOLUTION: The presentation of the material in this course has been designed around a monitor resolution of 800 x 600. If your monitor is set to some other value (eg. 640 x 480) please change it now before continuing.
- It is advisable to remove all toolbars, location windows, and other icons which appear at the top of your browser window. This will allow more space for the display of tables and pictures. The browser 'back' button can be accessed by using the mouse right-button.
- FONT SIZE: The font size can be changed to your personal needs by clicking in the browser's Menubar "Options", "General Preferences...", "Fonts".
- NAVIGATION: The main chapters of the course can be reached by clicking on one of the icons in the bar on the left side of each page. To navigate within a chapter you should use the bar at the top of each page. When you navigate in a subchapter you can reach the previous page by clicking the button.
BACKGROUND COLOR: Each chapter has a particular background color. When you are navigating through the pages and you click on a link that brings you to a piece of information in another chapter you can recognize this through the changing background color.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: You can use the FIND feature of your browser to search for specific authors or keywords in the bibliography. With Netscape this is accessed via the Edit menu.
- SCROLLING: In order to scroll the page so that you can read all of its contents you can use: the up and down arrow keys on your keyboard; the page up/page down keys on the keyboard; or the scroll bar on the extreme right hand side of the screen using the mouse and its pointer to pull the scroll bar up or down as far as you need it to go.
- LINKS: The links in any document are underlined and appear in blue until you click on them and use them at which time the writing changes to a light purple.
- MOVIES: whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that none are too large, movies by their nature will take longer to download than slides and pages. Be patient when downloading movies. To download a
movie click on the thumbnail (that is the small picture) or on the linked text.
SLIDES: Slides are downloaded much faster than movies but may also take some time. To download a full size slide simply click on the linked text or the thumbnail of the slide.